Republic of the Philippines
Department of the Interior and Local Government
A. Francisco Gold Condominium II, EDSA cor. Mapagmahal St.
Pinyahan, Quezon City
September 23, 2010
NO. 2010 – 103
TO : PROVINCIAL GOVERNORS, CITY AND MUNICIPAL MAYORS, DILG REGIONAL DIRECTORS AND OTHERS CONCERNED
SUBJECT : ESTABLISHMENT OF PERSONS WITH DISABILITY AFFAIRS OFFICE (PDAO) IN EVERY PROVINCE, CITY AND MUNICIPALITY PURSUANT TO RA 10070
1.0 LEGAL BASES:
Pursuant to Republic Act No. 10070 an Act Establishing an Institutional Mechanism to ensure the Implementation of Programs and Services for Persons with Disabilities in every Province, City and Municipality, Amending Section 40 of Republic Act No. 7277, Otherwise known as the Magna Carta for Disabled Persons as Amended, and for Other Purposes, a Persons with Disability Affairs Office (PDAO) shall be organized and established in every province, city and municipality.
In consideration of budget restraints, local chief executives of fourth (4th), and fifth (5th) and sixth (6th) class municipalities may, in lieu of the creation of PDAO, designate a focal person who shall perform the functions of the PDAO. Priority in appointment should be given to a PWD with experience in providing services to PWDs. The establishment of a PDAO or the DESIGNATION of a focal person, as the case may be, should be done in consultation and coordination with the National Council on Disability Affairs (NCDA), NGOs and POs.
This Circular is issued to provide guidelines on the establishment of Person with Disability Affairs Office (PDAO) and designation of PWD Affairs Officers or Focal Person.
A PWD Affairs Officer or Focal Person shall e designated by the Local Chief Executive, with the following qualifications:
1. A Filipino citizen and resident of the city or municipality for at least one (1) year;
2. A registered voter of the concerned city or municipality
3. Able to read and write and
4. Must be a bonafide member and duly accredited PWD organization with a track record of at least three (3) years.
The nominees for the Head of PDAO or Focal Persons shall be chosen or recommended in a general assembly by and among the organizations of PWDs in the province, city or municipality. The list of nominees shall be submitted to the Sangguniang Panlalawigan, Sangguniang Panlungsod or Sangguniang Bayan, which shall choose the three (3) nominees to be forwarded to the Office of the Local Chief Executive.
4.0 TERM OF OFFICE OF THE PDAO
The Head of PDAO of Focal Person shall have a term of Office of three (3) years and shall be reappointed for another term based on the Sanggunian selection process. In case of death, the remaining term shall be served by the new appointee who has undergone the selection process.
5.0 FUNCTIONS OF THE OFFICE OF THE PDAO or Focal Person:
1. Formulate and implement policies, plans and programs for the promotion of the welfare of the PWDs in coordination with concerned national and local government agencies;
2. Coordinate the implementation of the provisions of RA 10070, Batas Pambansa Blg. 344, otherwise known as the Accessibility Law, and other relevant laws at the local level;
3. Represent PWDs in meeting of the local development councils and other special bodies;
4. Recommend and enjoin the participation of Non-Government Organizations (NGOs) and People Organization (POs) in the implementation of all disability related laws and policies;
5. Gather and compile relevant data on PWDs in their localities;
6. Disseminate information including, but not limited to, programs and activities for PWDs, statistics on PWDs, including children with disability, and training and employment opportunities for PWDs;
7. Submit reports to the office of the local chief executive on the implementation of program and services for the promotion of the welfare of PWDs in their respective areas of jurisdiction;
8. Ensure that policies, plans and programs for the promotion of the welfare of PWDs are funded by both the national and local government;
9. Monitor fundraising activities being conducted for the benefits of PWDs; and
10. Seek donations in cash or in kind from local or foreign donors to implement an approved work plan for PWDs, in accordance with existing laws and regulations; and perform such other functions as may be necessary for the promotion and protection of the welfare of the PWDs.
6.0 PDAO FUNDING:
Section 4 of RA 10070 mandates that LGUs shall ensure that the necessary fund from any available local revenues is allocated for the implementation of PDAO activities for the benefit of PWDs in their jurisdictions. For the succeeding years of implementation, PDAO funding shall be included in the LGUs Annual Plans and Budget.
7.0 SUPERVISION OVER PDAO OR FOCAL PERSON
The PDAO or Focal Person shall be lodged under the Office of the Local Chief Executive. As such the LCE shall exercise supervision over the PDAO operations and activities.
8.0 DISSEMINATION OF THIS CIRCULAR
ALL DILG Regional Directors are hereby directed to cause the immediate and widest dissemination of the Circular to all local government units, provide assistance whenever necessary, monitor compliance thereto, and submit annual report to the Office of Undersecretary for Local Government through the Bureau of Local Government Development.
This Circular shall take effect immediately
JESSE M. ROBREDO